A week of pkgsrc #9

The past few weeks have been pretty hectic, as the time for BSDcan gets shorter and shorter, I’m thinking about my talk and testing more and more in pkgsrc. Rodent@ added support for Bitrig to pkgsrc-current last month, his patches highlighted an issue with the autoconf scripts (which should be shared across core components) not being pulled in automatically. Joerg Sonnenberger resolved this issue and I regenerated the patch set again. With the system bootstrapped the next thing which was broken was Perl, applying the changes needed for OpenBSD resolved any remaining issues and the bulk build environment was ready. After three days, the first bulkbuild attempt on Bitrig was complete and a report was published. There is now a bulkbuild in progress with devel/gettext-tools and archivers/unzip fixed, that should free over 8400 packages to be attempted to be built.
For Solaris, my first bulkbuild on Solaris 10 completed after 22 days. Mid-April I also started off bulkbuilds on Solaris 11 (x86 and SPARC) using the SunStudio compilers (It’s not possible to use GCC at the moment due to removed functionality that was previously deprecated). The Solaris 11 SPARC bulkbuild is still in progress and the x86 bulkbuild is running. Unfortunately the build cluster had some connectivity issues and needed rebooting during the bulkbuild but not until lots of packages had failed to fetch distfiles, hence the figures look a lot worse than they could be. Solaris 10 SPARC report, Solaris 11 x86 report.

Through bulk building on multiple operating systems another issue that’s surfaced is problematic packages that hold the build up. On Bitrig mail/fml4 is an issue, on OpenBSD www/wml, FTP mirror issues for ruby extension on Solaris, Xorg FTP mirror issues on OmniOS. Things need regular kicking, a brief glance into pkgsrc/mk didn’t reveal any knobs which would allow the preference of HTTP for fetching distfiles. On Bitrig & OpenBSD I’ve excluded these packages from being attempted via NOT_FOR_PLATFORM statement in their Makefile until I have a look into the issue.

sevan.mit.edu completed another bulkbuild, pkgsrc-current now ships with MesaLib 10.5.3 as graphics/MesaLib, version 7 has now been re-imported as graphics/MesaLib7 by tnn@, the new MesaLib needed a patch for FreeBSD, similar to NetBSD to build successfully, due to ERESTART not being defined. At present, it’s still broken on Tiger as I’ve not looked into yet.

I revisited AIX again to test out pkgsrc once again, this has turned into a massive yak shaving session. I’ve yet to run a bulkbuild successfully as the scan stage ends with a coredump.
I originally started off with using the stock system shell, bootstrap completed successfully but scan stage of a bulkbuild would just stop without anything being logged. Manually changing the shell used to shells/pdksh in pkg/etc/mk.conf and pbulk/etc/mk.conf resulted in the following error message:
bmake: don't know how to make pbulk-index. Stop
pbulk-scan: realloc failed:

This turned to be a lack of RAM, my shell account was to a AIX 7.1 LPAR running on a Power8 host with 2 CPUs and 2GB of RAM committed, unfortunately the OS image IBM provided came with Tivoli support enabled and a bug in the resource management controller which meant RMC was consuming way more resource than it needed to. I was running with less than 128MB of RAM.
Stopping Tivoli & RMC freed up about 500MB of RAM, attempting to bulkbuild again, caused the process to fail once again at the same stage. With a heads up from David Brownlee & Joerg Sonnenberger, I bumped the memory and data area resource limits to 256MB.
This allowed the scan to finish with a segfault.
/usr/pkgsrc/pbulk/libexec/pbulk/scan[54]: 11272416 Segmentation fault(coredump).
pscan.stderr logged multiple instances of
bmake: don't know how to make pbulk-index. Stop.
The segfault generated a coredump but it turned out that dbx, the debugger in AIX was not installed. IBMPDP on twitter helped by pointing to the path where some components are available for installation, unfortunately, while the dbx package was available there, some of its dependencies were not. Waiting on IBMPDP to get back to me, I fetched a new pkgsrc-current snapshot (I couldn’t update via CVS because it wouldn’t build) and re-setup my pbulk environment via mk/pbulk/pbulk.sh.
I should mention that initially when I setup, I’d explicitly set CC=/usr/bin/gcc last time, then while trying to get various things to build subsequently, I’d symlink /usr/bin/cc to /usr/bin/gcc. When I came to set thing up with the new snapshot, I did not pass CC=/usr/bin/gcc this time round and found that I was unable to link Perl, not sure if this was the Perl build files assuming if on AIX & /usr/bin/cc exists, it’s XLC or if ld(1) takes on different behaviour but I had to remove this symlink.
Once everything was setup, the bulkbuild failed agin at the same place, except this time I had a different message logged.
/bin/sh: There is no process to read data written to a pipe..
I edited the bootstrap/bootstrap script & devel/bmake/Makefile to set shells/pdksh as a dependency & rerun bulkbuild.
The scan stage again completed with a coredump with this time pscan.stderr just contained Memory fault (core dumped).
I’ve committed these changes so pkgsrc-current now defaults to using shells/pdksh as its shell but have not been able to try anything else as this weekend the system is unaccessible due to maintenance.

At present, I’m attempting to bulkbuild pkgsrc-current on 8 Operating systems
OpenBSD (5.6-RELEASE & -current), FreeBSD, Bitrig (current), Mac OS X (Tiger), Solaris (10 & 11), OmniOS on 4 architectures (i386, AMD64, SPARC, PowerPC).
If I could get AIX going that would bump the OS & arch could up by 1. Maybe by the next post perhaps. 🙂

Thanks to Patrick Wildt for access to host running Bitrig and Rodent@ for adding support to pkgsrc.

One Reply to “A week of pkgsrc #9”

Comments are closed.